Thursday, March 15, 2012

50/50: I'm more than just my cancer



Title: 50/50
Director: Jonathan Levine
Writer: Will Reiser
Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Seth Rogen, Anna Kendrick
Grade: A
Synopsis: A 27-year old man struggles with the diagnosis that he has cancer.
Good Movie For: Anyone really. 

So now that you know my love of Mr. JGL it's not too surprising why I choose to watch this movie. Everyone knows that I'm slightly obsessed with him, so whenever something JGL-y pops up, my family and friends automatically send it to me. (Hence why I got 7 different messages the day he made a duet with Zooey Deschanel) So when 50/50 came out, everyone told me to watch it. I was itching to watch it in theaters, but I never got the chance. So once it came out on DVD I quickly snagged it.

Everyone told me to prepare for the waterworks. Typically I'm a pretty emotional person, so I expected to shed a couple (lot) of tears. I laughed, I cried, then sobbed uncontrollably, but overall the movie left me with an extremely big smile on my face. Not just because I got to spend 2 hours gawking at JGL, but because the movie was really that good. 



50/50 is definitely an interesting take on cancer. Yea, that's the main bulk of the journey, but the movie is so much more than just a movie dealing with a man who has cancer. It centers on the different relationships that occur between this man and the people close to him. From his seemingly uncaring best friend to his overbearing mother to his too young therapist, the relationships in this movie is what helps to propel it away from others that have touched this topic.

Probably one of the most compelling things that stood out to me production wise was the timing of the beats that were hit in the story. From the big bad news to the first indication of love, the beats of the story line helped me to continue on further. An aspect that this script nazi was quite thankful for. This is also a prime example of the screenwriting notion "Write what you know". Reiser actually was diagnosed with cancer, and Seth Rogen is one of his best friends. I'm sure that not all of the events in the movie are completely factual, but Reiser took a real instance in his life and transformed it for the big screen. Write what you're familiar about, but don't leave in all of the mundane and boring details. 

This movie is much more than just a movie about cancer. You'll weep, you'll laugh, but overall it's just a down right good movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment