Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Film School Lecture: Research - "I need to watch Jersey Shore, for research purposes."

I'm always amazed when my fellow film school friends talk to me about the new/old movie that they just watched. Their eager eyes look for some sort of recognition in my expression. But sadly, I always have to follow their inquiry with a "No. I'm sorry. I don't have time to watch movies." This is then followed by a cloud of grief that washes over their being. They hope to discuss their favorite parts of the film, but I am not the right audience for this debate.

Whenever I get asked the question of "Have you watched this..." or "Have you watched that..." I'm always left wondering. How in the hell do they have the time to sit down and watch a movie everyday? I can barely find time to eat in between classes, let alone taking two hours to sit down and focus on a screen. I used to be called the film student who never watches movies. People would joke that I would think of this great idea of a man trying to implant an idea into another man's dream. I've watched Inception bitch. I know that movie. Now, I actually watch around 5 movies a week. Ok, I am actually forced to watch them movies because of class, but hey, I'm still watching them.

But this brings up a more important topic. Film students and people in the industry NEED to watch things. Whether it's a movie, a television show, or a short. You need to be able to know the industry you are getting into in order to help you succeed.

I would always feel bad when I would sit down in front of the television and spend 3 hours just watching the shows that have been piling up on my DVR. I felt unaccomplished for some reason. But somewhere between making films as a hobby and actually trying to make a career out of this, my watching habits went from things to do in my spare time to doing research for my future. This is what helps me justify the hours I spend in front of the television.

"It's research." I tell my mother, as she asks me why I'm watching the newest episode of Jersey Shore.

So if a career in the film industry is your end game, don't feel bad about missing your sister's Quinceanara because you need to watch Transformers 4. Alright, she would probably be mad at you for that, but you shouldn't feel bad about watching movies.

If you ever see me in front of a television screen from now on, don't bother me. I'm doing research.

No comments:

Post a Comment