Thursday, May 31, 2012

21 Jump Street: Not Another Fucking Remake


Title: 21 Jump Street
Directors: Phil Lord, Chris Miller
Writer: Michael Bacall
Featuring: Channing Tatum, Jonah Hill, Brie Larson
Grade: A
Synopsis: Whatever the TV show synopsis was.
Good Movie For: Everyone

I've noticed that the movie industry is plagued with reworked ideas. Hell, one thing that they teach you in screenwriting class is how to take a story that is already out in the universe, and try to make it better. It's the same shit with just different words. Welcome all of the remakes and sequels of sequels that have graced the silver screen for as long as I've known. 

I don't have very high expectations for remakes. It was done once, why do it again instead of trying to come up with a new story and a new idea? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm all for drawing inspiration from the past stories to come up with something today, but I don't think Hollywood needs to have that as their crutch. There are a lot of new and interesting stories out there that should be made, instead of Fast and Furious 128. So whenever a new remake releases to the public, I don't expect much from it. In this case, I was completely wrong.


21 Jump Street is good. Maybe even too good. It threw me for an unexpected loop. I watched this movie with one of my friends because like me, she appreciates the greek god we call Chatum. I expected him with his shirt off more often, but whatever, I digress. 

This movie is smart. It realizes that it's a played out remake of a favorite television show, and it plays that up. You're not supposed to take this seriously, they get that. They make you understand that. It takes conventions and aspects that you expect from an action comedy and turns it on it's head. The first shot isn't going to kill the bad guy, but hey maybe this will. 21 Jump Street is hilarious, and it should be a must watch for everyone that is interested in writing a remake. "Hey! Watch this! This is how you remake something the right way!"


My favorite part of the film is not in the story or in a character. It actually is a tiny aspect that most people probably will not catch. I think the most hilarious thing about 21 Jump Street is a tattoo across the face of one of the main villians. He has a bunch of tears tattooed down his eye, I murdered some bitches in prison, but at the bottom of his cheek is the tattoo of a bucket, collecting the tears. This little detail sums up just how ridiculously hilarious this movie is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment