Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Film School vs. Experience


With every blog or podcast or interview that deals with the film industry there are a couple key questions that always seem to arise when people think about making this into a career. From the structure, "How do I write a script?" to networking "How do I get an agent?" to everyone's carnal desire "How do I make it and become dirty rich?". The same questions always rise to the top of these conversations. Another question/debate that seems to follow this pattern is the standings on Film School versus nitty gritty experience. 

People have different answers in regards to this question. I am in film school. I plan on getting a film degree. Am I an advocate for film school? Sure. If that's the path that best suits you. My whole belief on this topic is that some people are meant for film school, and others aren't. I've been privileged to have some experience in both worlds and I've drawn positives and negatives from both. 

I'm not the most motivated person in the entire world, hence why I have ruts in my postings, so having a strict deadline to learn things and to create things helps me get further. That being said, I have learned so much more being on a film set than I have being in a lecture hall. Nothing beats hands on experience. No article or chapter in a textbook beats having to set up this light or move this piece of equipment.

Purely speaking jobs on set wise, real world experience is much better than taking an introduction to production class. If you want to learn more about the business and filmic aspects of things, than school really is the best bet. I've learned devices and different view points on films and styles from lectures and books than I could not have possibly learned working. Having to analyze and dissect a film truly helps when coming up with your own content. I have found that I am able to tap into different perceptions of the world and of people in my own scripts and films because of studying styles from the past.

A major positive about experience is that you are able to actually work, and if you are actually decent as a production assistant than people will ask you to help them again and again on various different projects. Networking is key in this industry, and film school provides something that set work doesn't have, a built in network. Film school allows students to branch out to each other, an aspect that is much harder to do in the real industry. It also provides the chance for students to work in different fields and positions in a set. You could dabble in directing, or cinematography, or screenwriting in school. In the industry you would typically just start off as a production assistant. 

Ultimately there are many pros and cons for each side of this debate. I've decided to be in film school mainly due to the idea that if I'm not lucky enough to break into the industry, I could fall back and teach, something that almost always requires a degree. The film industry is a funny environment. While other careers strive on scholastic competency, film is more about dedication and knowledge of the craft rather than what grade you got on your senior thesis. Film school is not for everybody, but that is a decision that I think ultimately comes down to the person in question. You decide if school is the right choice for you. If not, strap on that leatherman and find the nearest set to work on.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post. I've often thought about this issue myself, since I am pursuing a television writing career without any school experience, or degree. I plan on taking classes once I move to LA, but I even feel like that isn't necessary either but it is an affordable option for me to grow as a writer, so I'm all over it.

    I entirely agree with the fact that nothing is better than hands on experience. I can imagine how inspiring, informative and an all around learning experience actually being on a set would be. I read countless articles and listened to countless podcasts boasting the same information.

    If I had the privilege, I would go to film school. But I'm VERY motivated and ambitious, and from all of the information and advice i have consumed like a vacuum I feel like I can do this without the schooling and purely my self discipline, motivation, ambition, and learning.

    I like keeping up with your blog. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad to know that someone else reads this besides me. LA is a tricky beast. Although I don't live there I have visited many times, and I plan to move down there once school is done. From what I drew from my experiences it seems as though everyone and their dog walker has written a spec script. It's a bit crazy, but that's awesome that you have so much motivation and ambition. I envy that.

      There are other options out there for film school courses without really going to film school. I haven't done the course, but I've looked at the television writing course at writersstore.com. It's an online 4-week course for about $100. You should check it out. I'm thinking about taking it because I'm more of a feature writer than a television writer.

      I enjoy reading your blog too! Hope there's a new post soon!

      Delete