Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Coraline: Nothing but another mother...


During my freshman year in high school, I was a part of the honors English program. Honors? I know, me, smart? Oh the years when school was the most important thing in my life, but alas, it appears that as the number of my age has risen, the number of my IQ has fallen. Anyway, enough dwelling on my brain's eminent downfall. So during my stint in honors English, we were assigned a book report in which you had to write a letter to the author discussing the book. At this time in my life, reading an entire book was probably equivalent to getting a root canal done, but I've since learned to appreciate the knowledge gained from books. So I saw the book Coraline one day while gallivanting through the aisles of Barnes and Noble, and was quite intrigued by the cover that I decided to read it, or should I say try and read it. I actually got a couple chapters into it before it was engulfed in the black hole that was underneath my bed. So yes, I did bullshit my book report, but at that time, I had become a master bullshitter, and got an A. Even though your good at it, procrastination and bullshit isn't the best, but shit, I still do it.


I actually really liked the book before I stopped reading it, so when I found out that it was going to be made into a movie, I really wanted to read it and then watch Coraline. I have this thing where I set out to read the book before the movie comes out. Unfortunately, like many other times, my reading was not fast enough, or I kinda just gave in, and watched the movie. I liked it. Probably not one of my favorites, but it was good. The thing that really blew me away was the graphics and the design of the scenes. It reminded me a lot of my all time favorite movie, The Nightmare Before Christmas!


The opening sequence in particular reminded me a lot about the characters in Nightmare. When the doll of Coraline is being made, I got a lot of flashbacks to Oogie Boogie and Sally.


So for the longest time, I thought that Nightmare was directed by Tim Burton. I've realized that I've become a huge fan of Mister Burton, finding out that most of my favorite movies were made by him. So when Coraline came out saying it was from the director of Nightmare I got really excited for the new Tim Burton flick. Upon further research I realized that the director was actually Henry Selick, and the Tim Burton was a writer. Oh the things you learn from IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment